Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Move is over! Cabbage housewarming...

I haven't been posting lately, as we've been moving. We finally decided to buy a condo in Cambridge - and with three Whole Foods Markets and a Trader Joe's - I'm always close to the groceries I need. I love my new kitchen. It's small, but brand new and very functional. I used the Mrs. Meyer's Stainless Steel cleaner on my new appliances and it worked very well (even on kid handprints). It took a while to burn off the "new oven smell" but I love my new gas range, and as an added bonus now, all four burners work.

Some friends came over to see the new house, and they brought me an extra head of cabbage from their CSA. For me, it was the perfect housewarming gift (:

So I'm going to start my blog going again, with a couple of my favorite cabbage recipes:

Coleslaw (from the Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook by Cybele Pascal)
1 package of shredded coleslaw mix (or, I shred my own in my Cuisinart food processor, even though Cuisinart doesn't recommend it, it still works good enough)
1/2 c. shredded carrot
1 chopped apple
1/2 c. raisins
1 T. rice milk
3 T. white vinegar
2 T. orange juice
1 t. honey
1 T. lemon juice
6 T. olive oil

Make a salad dressing out of the last liquid ingredients and pour over the shredded/chopped vegetables. It's best if you let it sit a while in the refrigerator.

Braised Cabbage (From Martha Stewart Living, March 2005)
2 cans chicken broth (or you can use vegetable broth)
1 t. coarse salt
10 whole black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 small cabbage, cut into wedges
1 small leek, sliced

Bring broth and spices to a boil, add cabbage and leek and reduce heat - simmer for about 12-15 minutes until tender.

You can always just steam cabbage in a pan or stir fry it too, both of those options are good!

No comments: